15 actions for achieving energy efficiency at home

15 actions for achieving energy efficiency at home

Active energy efficiency can be achieved by installing energy-saving equipment and devices in the home, as well as by controlling them to use only the necessary energy.

We are a nation of "homeowners" and we want the comfort of today's systems of construction and finishing of residential buildings. At the same time, we are concerned about the continuous growth of utility tariffs. These two issues are not just on the agenda of industrial, commercial, office, but even more so on the list of personal concerns.

Active energy efficiency can be achieved by installing energy-saving equipment and devices in the home, as well as by controlling them to use only the necessary energy.

That's why, at the beginning of the autumn, when there is still warm weather and we still have a few months before the cold season, we want to point out a series of actions that everyone can do at home for the energy efficiency of the home.

  1. Change traditional bulbs or CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamp) bulbs that you use for more than 6 hours a day with LEDs. Such a light source uses up to 75% less electricity and, moreover, has a longer life.
  2. Use lighting systems with a timer to illuminate open spaces (courtyards, gardens, passageways, or areas you do not use frequently).
  3. Turn off the lights when there are no spaces. Light represents about 12% of the usual residential utility bill.
  4. Do not leave your computer open all day. Turn on your computer, monitor, printer, and similar equipment only when you need them.
  5. Do not let your mobile phone or other devices charge it overnight. It takes a lot less to load and will not consume in standby.
  6. Switch off the electric oven a few minutes before the cooking time has elapsed. Food will continue to be cooked without using additional electricity.
  7. Avoid placing heat-irradiating appliances such as lamps or TVs near a thermostat.
  8. In the warmer months, use the shutters, umbrellas and drapes in the sunny side of the house to keep the house low and to reduce the use of air conditioning.
  9. Install a low-UV sun protection sheet on the windows.
  10. Set the refrigerator temperature as recommended by the manufacturer to avoid excessive cooling and loss of energy. Take care not to overload the refrigerators in the summer as this will reduce the internal air circulation and cause the appliance to work longer.
  11. Do not let the fans in the bathroom or kitchen work longer than necessary. Install fan timers for bath fans.
  12. Heating and cooling of the home make up about 43% of all the energy we consume. That's why a well-insulated house means a house with minimal energy loss, implicit savings on invoices. Seal cracks or holes in the house insulation system. This can save up to 10% for the heating costs of the home.
  13. Investing in an efficient heating and cooling system, such as heat pumps, will save you a lot of money in heavy winters. These systems produce much of the heat (up to 75%), with the help of ambient air and the remaining 25% with electricity.
  14. Clean or replace periodically all home and air conditioning filters. Dirty filters make these devices work longer than necessary and with low efficiency.
  15. Ensure that the windows seal tightly. For multi-chamber joinery, make the necessary adjustments at least once a year for maintenance purposes.

In addition to all the benefits of low energy consumption, another important aspect is our environmental responsibility. Respecting energy efficiency principles leads to lower costs but also to a lower impact on the consumption of resources of all kinds (electricity, water, heat, etc.). The less energy is scattered in our homes, the lower the cost of utilities and the more responsible behavior towards the environment.